Frequently Asked Questions
What are Eyelash Extensions?
Eyelash extensions are safe and semi-permanent way for clients to have naturally longer, fuller, and thicker lashes. When done correctly, the integrity of the natural lash should not be compromised, and often times aids in the process of regrowth of damaged natural lashes.
Who can get Eyelash Extensions?
Anyone who has natural eyelashes can get them done. Celebrities have been using this technique for years to create a look that they can wear everyday or for special occasions.
Eyelash extensions fit for any kind of lifestyle- they are perfectly safe to swim, enter a sauna, exercise, or shower in. Whether you are a student, a professional, or an active athlete, eyelash extensions provide amazing lashes all day and all night long without the worry or mess of mascara smudging.
What is the process of getting Eyelash Extensions?
The process for application is very delicate and precise. Each synthetic eyelash is carefully dipped into a glue specially formulated for eyelash extensions, and strategically placed on top of your real eyelash. Lashes should be placed one per lash, and proper isolation is crucial to maintain natural lash health.
The process takes about 1-2 hours depending on the service and the amount of natural lashes you have. It is completely painless- often so relaxing that clients fall asleep.
Are Eyelash Extensions safe?
Eyelash extensions are completely safe for your eyelashes- if done correctly! Some people fear their lashes will fall out, however, lashes grow from hair pores like those on your head. They go through a growth cycle of about 4-8 weeks naturally, fall off and grow again, repeating the cycle. Many people have been getting eyelash extensions for years and have no problem with their lashes becoming more thin or sparse. When done correctly, lash extensions should not cause premature shedding of the natural lash.
Eyelash extensions specialists should be licensed, trained professionals in the cosmetology or esthetician field. Through extensive training and experience, a lash artist should never compromise the natural lash health by using lashes that are too heavy or too long for a client's natural lash to hold. Make sure your eyelash expert is experienced, licensed, and has undergone training in eyelash extensions before committing to a specialist.
What type of eyelashes are there?
Lashes come in a variety of colors, thicknesses, lengths, and curls- just to meet your needs! Based on what you are looking for, your professional will be able to create the look that you want to achieve. All synthetic lashes mimic your natural lash- they start out thicker at the base and slowly taper to a thin tip. At Lashes by Sophia, Inc., we only use the highest quality mink lashes to ensure softness, comfort, and curl.
- Classic Lash Extensions consist of one extension per natural lash. The process takes about 1-1.5 hours.
-Hybrid Lash Extensions consist of a mix of Classic and Volume lashes to create both volume and texture. The process takes 1-1.5 hours.
- Volume Lash Extensions can either be 2D, 3D, 4D, 5D, 6D, or 7D. This technique is the newest technique in lash application. It consists of the lash artist creating lash fans with .07mm or thinner lashes and applying them onto each individual natural lash. The effect is fuller lashes due to more coverage of surface area with the fans versus individual lashes. Since thinner lashes are used to create fans, volume lashes are completely safe and often times ligther weight than some individual lash diameters. This technique takes up to 2 hours to complete a full set but is well worth the time.
How do I care for my eyelash extensions?
There are a few key things that will keep your lashes looking great and increase the life of the lashes:
- No saunas or hot yoga for 24 hours after lash application.
- No oil based mascaras, cleansers, or creams are to be applied onto the eyelashes. Only water based mascaras are safe to use.
- Wipe make up and creams away from your eyelashes- either upwards towards your eyebrows or downwards towards your cheek.
- Do no pull, tug, or pick at your eyelash extensions.
- Sleeping on your back is highly recommended- if you sleep on your side, you will notice lashes come off quicker on that side. If you sleep on your face, your lashes are not guaranteed to last as long.
- Do not use an eyelash curler on your eyelash extensions. The extension lashes are already curled and use of a curler can cause your natural lashes to break, deform the curl of the extension, and cause the extensions to come off sooner.
Is there a way to remove Eyelash Extensions ?
The process of removal requires an eyelash extensions specialist. A special remover needs to be used in order to break down the bond between the synthetic eyelash and your natural eyelashes. This process can take up to an hour and should not be performed by anyone other than a specialist. Pulling lashes out is not recommended as it can cause bald spots in your lash line.
Can I workout, swim, shower, and wash my face everyday like normal?
Yes, however it is recommended that you wait 24 hours prior to entering a sauna or doing hot yoga and avoid oil based products on the lashes. Other than that, you can do all activities like normal. It is CRUCIAL that you keep your lashes clean by purchasing a lash cleanser and brush and washing your lashes EVERYDAY. Failure to clean your lashes may result in: eye infections, lash mites, premature shedding of lashes, and lash extensions falling out sooner than they should.
What should I look for in a lash expert?
* First and foremost, make sure your lash expert is licensed by the state as a cosmetologist or esthetician and has undergone training in application of eyelash extensions. Only licensed professionals should be performing this technique due to safety and sanitation concerns.
* Ask your professional about their experience in applying eyelash extensions- how many years have they been doing this?
* Ask what type of products they use- what brand of glue? What do they use to sanitize their equipment?
* Find an expert that will answer your questions! You should never get any type of service done without feeling comfortable and knowing that all of your questions have been answered
* Ask to see some of their work- make sure to look for things such as: no clumping together of lashes- make sure each lash is individualized and u can see each strand separate from others, make sure that there is no trace of glue to be seen, and make sure that the lashes are full and thick- many experts charge by the number of lashes applied so make sure you know what your final end result will look like before committing.
* Question low prices! As with many things in life, you get what you pay for. Many lash artists just entering the field will do special promotions for a full set at a really low price. In these instances, you might find that too much glue has been used and lashes are clumped together – one synthetic lash will be glued to 4 or 5 natural lashes. Remember, a good set of lashes should have a 1:1 ratio of synthetic to natural lash and should show no signs of clumping or glue. They may also only apply a limited number of lashes, or apply them in a way that you will need to come in after a week for a refill.
* Make sure your lash expert will apply the lashes in the style and length that you want them done. Lash experts should be able to tell you about the different styles and lengths available as well as give you a recommendation. Ultimately, the decision is yours- do not let the lash expert lay you down and start applying lashes to you without a proper
* Don't get tricked into signing a contract or membership! Many chain studios require membership fees and place you with a "master" level artist for your first set to get you hooked, and then have inexperienced or different artists work on you every time afterwards- results tend to be inconsistent, you might have to pay extra for a more experienced lash artist, or you may even have to pay more to book a certain artist. Oftentimes canceling membership can be difficult. Most privately owned lash business will offer packages and deals without requiring monthly membership fees.